Many people don’t know! Very often, there are no symptoms or side effects of chlamydia. However, some people do have symptoms.
For women, these might include:
- Unusual vaginal discharge
- Pain when peeing or having sex
- Bleeding after sex or between periods
- Lower abdominal (tummy) pain
For men, the symptoms might include:
- A discharge or itching from the top of the penis
- Pain or burning when peeing
- Painful swelling of the testicles (balls)
Remember: If you have any of the above symptoms you should arrange an appointment as soon as possible with your local genito-urinary medicine clinic (GUM Clinic) for full screening to rule out other infections, it may not just be chlamydia!